Monday, November 23, 2009

Apparently I can't get enough of Eunny!

I finished my sister's Anemoi mittens on Friday evening. They are beautiful! Early on I was a bit worried I wouldn't have enough handspun to finish, but I ended up with more than enough. These will be on their way west shortly.
.
.
But empty needles have a way of filling up quickly! And the thoughts of new projects have been whirling in my head even before I finished the Anemois.
.
I wanted to knit another pair of mittens for the gift exchange at G's staff party. It's the sort of exchange that's a bit of a game. You draw a number out of a hat. Number 1 gets to choose any gift to unwrap. Number 2 can steal Number 1's gift, or unwrap a new one; Number three can steal Number 1 or 2's gift or choose something as yet unknown, etc... I thought of knitting these, but G nixed that being a die-hard Canucks fan. "How about something cabled," he suggested. I didn't even know he paid enough attention to my knitting to know what cable was! So I tweaked a pattern I love, Eunny's (again) Bayerishe socks to make a worsted weight mitten. I wanted these to knit up fairly quickly. I do like G's co-workers and spouses, but fingering weight mittens I reserve for those I love. These are modeled after my favorite mittens.
.
.
Details:
Patons Classic Wool "Dark Grey Mix"
3.25mm dpns
.
CO sts 56 sts.
Work 6.5cm k1tbl, p1 ribbing
.
Cable set up row: *(k1tbl, p1) 6 times, k1tbl, m1 purlwise, purl into the front and back of the next st, m1, k1tbl, m1 purlwise, p, m1 purlwise, (k1tbl, p1) 6 times*. M1, place 2 markers - this will be the thumb gusset. Repeat from * to * once more [67 sts].
.
Follow charts C, D and A from Eunny's Bayerishe Sock pattern, including a k1tbl between each chart. For the thumb gusset, m1 purlwise between the markers on the first round and then m1 (either purlwise or knitwise) on the inside of the each marker every following three rows, maintaining a k1tbl, p1 ribbing between the markers. Once you have 17 sts between the markers, transfer these 17 sts plus 1 on either side to a holder and CO 1 over the gap. Continue working the charts for the hand. Once you have worked 3 repeats of Chart D, follow the chart below (beginning where the row is marked "1") for the mitten decreases. Turn mitten inside out and work a 3 needle bind off.
.
.
Maybe I should go work on my Print O' the Wave shawl now too!
.

2 comments:

Tam said...

I love the mittens you are knitting for the gift exchange! I would be picking those for sure!

Anonymous said...

I love the first pair, and great modification on the second one. Fantastic.