Saturday, July 4, 2009

Vampire Batt Yarn (pardon the pun)

I finished spinning the yarn that I started on June 19th.
.

I spun 4 thin singles and plied them to produce this yummy squishy 4 ounces/212 yards of worsted weight yarn.
.
I have always found andean plying to be somewhat problematic. It seemed to be fine when I spun just a bit of fluff as a test to see what I wanted a particular batt or roving to become, but it was one of the main motivators for buying a wheel: whenever I tried to ply a larger amount of singles, things got tangled and I ended up loosing much loved fiber to untangleable snarls.
.
So this yarn was a test of something I read here. This yarn was entirely spindle-spun. I spun one ounce of the batt on to each of two spindles and then wound them tightly together into an outside-pull ball, so as to keep the singles under tension. I repeated with the remaining two ounces. Then I placed each 2 ply ball into a coffee mug and plyed the 4 plies together. I'm very pleased with the result. I know I could have spun this more quickly on my wheel, but I'm glad to know that I can do this too!
.

No comments: