Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I think I'm starting to get it

Another roving sample from my Phat box. This one is from The Fox Hop and is 1/2 an oz of plummy goodness. 70% superwash merino and 30% alpaca. This roving was so soft and light, I didn't want to overspin it and lose the smooshiness, or make it so fine that it was only skinny smooshiness. So here's another attempt at retraining my brain to make a thicker singles.
.
Here's the beautiful fluff.
.
10 -15 wpi singles! They just felt so fat, I was sure it must have been way less, but when I measured, it came out averaging 12 wpi. My fingers are having a really hard time with this idea my brain has of branching out and spinning something other than a fine singles. Sometime ago, I found this idea from Rosemary Knits for making a plying bracelet and I love it so much more than wrapping the singles for Andean plying around my wrist and middle finger. I always cut off the circulation in my hand when I do it that way, plus, I don't have hands-free to help the kids until I'm done. Hubby watched me with my handy-dandy book the other day and is planning to make me a wooden plying form! Now I know why I love him!

.

Plied: 20 yards, 6-7 wpi. Yummy, Bulky and oooh so soft.
.

No comments: