Friday, June 5, 2009

Can I have more than one Favorite

This is the Chimera "Rock Garden" handpainted 0.5 oz merino top sample from the May Phat Box. My initial reactions to this braid were that I liked the colors, and thought it was soft, but it didn't grab my interest and make me excited to spin it immediately. But now? Ohh wow!
.

Here's the pile of fluff. I split the braid into about 5 or 6 pieces of approximately equal length and thought I'd continue my attempts at making a thicker single - with the hope that I might be able to make one that could be used as a singles yarn.

.

And then I spun. I ended up with singles ranging from 8 to 15 wpi. Quite a bit of variability, but it is getting easier. Then I gave the singles a little soak and some vigorous thwacking. I let them dry overnight and Wow!

.

This is the finished yarn. 42yrds - looks about DK weight on average. I love this sooo much. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm bragging, but it reminds me of a skein of Manos silk/wool from my lys: just the colors, not quite the feel and it obviously doesn't have the sheen of the silk. But oh, my do I ever love this yarn - and I made it!
.
Here's the sample knit up a bit. I'm bringing this sample with me to M's class next week to demonstrate knitting for the kids. I'll likely rip the swatch out and re-block the yarn to use in some special little project.
.

No comments: