Saturday, February 21, 2009

She Loves Wool

B has stolen my mittens. They are average polar fleece mittens that have faithfully kept my hands warm to -30 C since she was 5. They are still in great shape and apparently match her new winter coat. I missed them terribly on Thursday, especially the second time that day that the snowplow came by. I put on my thin fingering weight Bayerische mittens, and trudged out to start the snowblower. I knew I'd never get through the ridge of snow Mr. Plow left behind with only a shovel. But it was cold and blowing (yes it's still deep winter in northern Canada) and my hands were frozen in minutes. I decided since she hates wool, that thrummed mittens would be just the thing to keep my (and only my) hands warm.
.
.
I went diving into my stash and came up with a couple of balls of brown worsted weight and some natural white merino roving. I thought there was enough roving to make a pair. Turns out it's more like a mitten and a half (I'm picking up more roving on Tuesday). These are so soft and warm and cozy and I can't wait to finish.
.
There's only one problem. Apparently, now she loves wool.
.

No comments: