Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I love it when a plan comes together...

I am so pleased with my FWSM! The thumb has worked out just as I'd hoped. All grafting is complete and I've picked up the stitches for the cuff, which I plan to work in the round as you would for a more conventional mitten.
.
I'm so pleased with this that it started me thinking. Why did this project work out so well, when the Thing was so disappointing? It helps to have a plan. I didn't swatch for the Thing, didn't make a single calculation or sketch, just winged it. For the FWSM there was a plan. Here is the plan:
.
Note the little box in the upper left corner: that's my gauge swatch details. There are measurements of what the FWSM are supposed to fit (note that I traced my hand). There are approximations to make the knitting work. And it worked!
.
Can you tell I'm pleased?
.

No comments: